Decentralized of Houses


Decentralized Build Together Programm (DBTP) was decentralized to Oshikoto Regional Council in 1999/2000 finacial year at the following settlements; Onayena, Oshivelo and Oniipa. The Programme targetes both urban and rural low income groups whose monthly income does not exceed N4 3, 000.00. However; the programme was incorporated into the mas housing programme during 2013/2014 financial year.


  •  Oshivelo Settlement - Rural urgan 49 houses

            5 Social houses

            7 Renovated/ council houses

  • Onayena Settlement - Rural Urban 22 houses
  • Oniipa Settlement - Rural Urban 1 house

A total 0f  83 houses were constructed in the region under the build Together programme

Management & Administration of Settlement AreasRegional Council Act, 1992 (Act 22 of 1992) as amended, mandates Regional Councils to develop, manage and control Settlement areas in the region. The intention is to foster orderly urban development so that in the long run these settlemnt areas may be proclaimed as local Authorities. Hence, the Oshikoto Regional Council has declared five settlement areas, namely:

Onethindi-Oniipa, Onayena, Oshivelo, Oshigambo and Onyuulaye.

Bulk urban service infrastructure such as water reticulation, sewer reticulation, electrical network and street(road) network were constructed mainly in Onayena, Oshivelo and Onethindi-Oniipa settlement areas. Service infrastructures in Onyuulaye and Oshigambo settlement areas are planned and will be constructed in the near future depending on the availability of funds.

Onayena, Oshivelo and Onethindi settlement areas are administrated by their local settlement office as Local Authority. This umpires the fact that customers who are using services in the settlement such as water, sewer and refuse removal are paying their monthly bills at their settlement Office.

In each settlement areas there is a constituted Settlement Development Commitee (SDC), which is chiefly responsible for the coordination of the development in their settlement area.

Settlement Land Management

Land in declared settlement areas is managed by the settlement office. The process of acquiring land in settlement areas is that, if the investor or a community member intends to acquire an erf in the settlement area, firstly the applicant should submit a complete application in a prescribed form or a comprensive development application to the settlement office. The settlement office shall convene SDC meeting to scrutinize the application and if the application is found to be in line with the development agenda of the Council and the required Erf or land is available, then the settlement office shall submit the recommendation of the SDC to the Council for a final decision. All the moment, land or Erf in settlement areas are allocated on a leasing agreement by the Council.

Settlement Development Control

Development control in the settlement area is undertaken by local settlement office. The settlement Office shall ensure that all buildings are constructed upon the approval of the building plan.The approved building plan becomes a development agreement between the Council and the developer. In other words construction of any given building in the settlement area shall only start when the land is allocated by the Council and the building plan is submitted and approved by the Council. The settlement office shall ensure that the approved building plan is adhered during the construction phase. This requires that site inspections and meeting would be regularly conducted by th settlement office with the developer.